Worst hand wins

by PokerAnon ~ April 1st, 2014. Filed under: Micro level poker, Poker theory, Rush/Zoom Poker.


Happens all the time. Best hand preflop loses to two or more other hands. A pair of Aces will win less and less often the more other hands you’re up against.

But, this one is painful. I re-raise poorly preflop intentionally to try to get the bad players in. On the other hand, I give them lots and lots of chances to fold in the process.

Seat 1: PokerAnon ($10)
Seat 2: bartak4 ($6.05)
Seat 3: LeslieChip ($14.32)
Seat 4: lav1tanuova ($3.50)
Seat 5: luckywheels ($11.05)
Seat 6: vik21860 ($6.13)
PokerAnon posts the small blind of $0.05
bartak4 posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PokerAnon [Ah As]
LeslieChip calls $0.10
lav1tanuova folds
luckywheels folds
vik21860 raises to $0.20
PokerAnon raises to $0.90

My first raise is oversized, or rather, it’s properly sized perhaps. I assume that at some point the limper is going to get folded out and the min-raiser is the one that I expect to get all in preflop, and I only realize afterward that he’s short, so if my target is him, I’ve oversized.

bartak4 folds
LeslieChip calls $0.80
vik21860 raises to $1.60

Now the limper has called, and the short stack raiser has reraised, as if he has Aces. Maybe he does?

PokerAnon raises to $3
LeslieChip calls $2.10

Limper calls again?

vik21860 raises to $6.13, and is all in

Now I sure that I’m going to lose the original limper, so I shove. Or, I plan to, but hit the wrong button and leave myself 0.74.

PokerAnon raises to $9.26
LeslieChip calls $6.26

*** FLOP *** [Jd 4s 2d] (Total Pot: $24.75, 3 Players, 1 All-In)
PokerAnon bets $0.74, and is all in
LeslieChip calls $0.74
PokerAnon shows [Ah As]
LeslieChip shows [8d Ad]
vik21860 shows [Js Jh]

So I up against JJ and A8s, by far the best hand. But on the flop I’m losing to a flopped set and one of my outs is in the limp/caller’s hand. Plus, he has the flush draw.

You can figure how this works out.

 

Hmm, the replayer seems to skip the community card action; maybe it can’t handle my 6 bet preflop. Ending board:

Board: [Jd 4s 2d 6c 5d]
Seat 1: PokerAnon (small blind) showed [Ah As] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 2: bartak4 (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: LeslieChip showed [8d Ad] and won ($24.92) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 4: lav1tanuova didn’t bet (folded)
Seat 5: luckywheels didn’t bet (folded)
Seat 6: vik21860 (button) showed [Js Jh] and lost with three of a kind, Jacks

A8s is a drawing hand, I guess. Limp, call, call, call, until you win.

Be Sociable, Share!

2 Responses to Worst hand wins

  1. trummferfeld

    Urgh, that’s just bad luck. Hands like these do not just appear on lower stakes. At the moment I’m playing NL50 and people do not dare to shove PF with hands like Q9s, knowing they would flop their trips against my AA. Sometimes it is quite hard to believe that PokerStars isn’t rigged ^^

  2. PokerAnon

    Thanks for the comment.

    I’ve been on Stars for, 8, 9 years or so. I think well over 500,000 hands cash games plus tournaments, and I know people with far more. I’ve never considered it or any of the main sites to be rigged, though I don’t know about some of the free Facebook games. Those ones have no reason to be entirely fair.

    The mood, maybe not clear through my writing, was more smiling resignation. AA is supposed to lose X number of times against any other hand. 97% odds on the turn means you are supposed to lose 3% of the time, and over 100,000 – 1,000,000 hands, that might add up to a lot.

    What it’s intended as is some sort of sideways sarcasm directed the players who get in as huge underdogs, make awful plays. We used to have fun with these back pre-Black Friday and I used to play with friends at $2 or $10 tables when half the people were drunk, half were playing seriously and half playing intentionally, all at least decent players.

Leave a Reply